Having a trained dog is not the same as having a balanced puppy, but if your dog knows a few basic commands, it may be helpful when handling problem behaviors, present ones or the ones that may develop later on, so learn your dog these 5 essential commands dog training tips or find a dog trainer.
But where should you begin with a dog training learning him or her obedience? You could take a course, but it isn't mandatory; you can do it yourself. In actuality, with the right mindset, it may be fun for both you and your dog!
This may be one of the more challenging commands in dog obedience training. Why? Since the place is a submissive position. You can help by maintaining training relaxed and positive, especially with fearful or anxious dogs.
- Locate a specially good smelling treat, and hold it in your closed fist.
- Hold up your hand to your dog's snout. When he sniffs it, move your hands to the ground, so he follows.
- Then slide your hands along the floor in front of him to encourage his body to follow his mind.
- Once he is in the down position, say “Down,” give him the treat, and share affection.
Repeat it daily. If your puppy tries to sit up or lunges toward your hands, say “No” and take your hands off. Do not push him into a downward position, and promote every measure your dog takes the perfect position. After all, he is working hard to figure it out!
This is one of the simplest dog obedience commands to educate, so it is a good one, to begin with.
- Hold a treat near your dog's nose.
- Move up your hand, allowing his head to follow the treat and inducing his butt to lower.
- Once he is in sitting position, say “Sit,” give him the treat, and share affection.
Repeat this sequence a few times daily until your puppy has it mastered. Then ask your dog to sit before mealtime, when leaving for walks, and throughout other circumstances where you would like him relaxed and calm.